Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Her first birthday has come and gone

It's the one you've all been waiting for, right?  She's a year old!  I saw a quote, "The days go by slow, but the years go by fast," and it couldn't be more true.  I remember when she was about 4 weeks old in the midst of colic and sleepless nights thinking, "What did I get myself into? 8 more weeks until the colic goes away? I can't last 8 weeks!"  I'd say from 4 months old and on, motherhood has been a complete dream.  Yeah, some days I want to stay in bed and will her to go back to sleep for another hour (or two), but for the most part I wouldn't choose my life to be any different.  Here's the list:
  • At her doctor's appointment she weighed 18 lbs 14 oz (15%) and measured 29" (51%).  Her iron levels were low, so he prescribed an iron supplement drop.  Luckily, she takes the drops no problem (I hear they can taste like a penny, but I'm not going to try it).  He said it helps to take them with orange juice, but silly girl won't drink it, so I've been feeding her foods with vitamin C to help with absorption.
  • She's pretty much weaned herself off the bottle.  I'm only feeding her one in the morning and she barely drinks it (like 2-3 oz), so I'm probably going to cut that one out soon.  She loves water, it's her favorite drink.  She tolerates whole milk if it's the right temp (about room temp or cooler) but does not like juice (pear, apple, orange, cranberry).
  • She's finally feeding herself!  It started with Olive Garden breadsticks one day and she's been pro ever since.  She's learning to use her (4) teeth to take bites of larger foods.  The doctor said to expect 8 new teeth in the next 3 months (by 15 months most babies have their pre-molars), so then she'll really be able to chomp food down.  Her favorite finger foods are breads, Cheerios, puffs, and french fries.  She's still hesitant about the gooey or sticky foods.
  • My big frustration this month has been her refusal to eat for me sometimes.  I know she's hungry, and it can even be food I know she likes, but it turns into a power struggle.  When Doug is home he can usually get her to eat for him (which makes it all the more frustrating).  She's eating 3-4 times a day and anywhere from 4-8 oz of food each time.  Since she doesn't really like drinking plain milk we mix it in with the cereal flakes before bed and/or feed her yogurt.
  • She's belly crawling and will get up on her knees (in a crawling position) but plops back down when she decides she wants to go somewhere.  So definitely no walking yet, or even pulling up on things, but she's gotten better about standing if I lean her against the couch or a box.  The doctor said she won't be considered "late" unless she's not walking by 16 months, and then we'd just have to meet with a physical therapist.  She has plenty of strength to do it, it's just a matter of her deciding it's in her interest, and no amount of persuading on my part is seeming to help that along.
  • Just this last Sunday (Feb. 14th) she really learned to get herself in a sitting position.  She's been able to sit up for a while now, but it's only been recently that she's done it herself consistently.  Doug and I would clap when she did it, for encouragement.  And now she'll sit up, clap for herself, will get down again halfway, sit up, and expect us to clap for her again.
  • She says some words, kinda.  I think she finally has "dada" for Doug, and she'll say "mama" if I say it first.  I think she's been saying "theedee" for "kitty" for a while now, but I didn't make the connection until recently.  She's best with her animal noises, she knows "roar" (lion), "hoo" (owl), "eeow" (cat), and "emmoo" (cow).  She signals that she's ready to get out of the high chair by raising her hands above her head.  She waves all the time, to me, to strangers, anyone, and kinda says "hi" while she does it sometimes.

At the beginning of January she didn't like her "standing time"
I love this scrunchy-nose smile
When Grandma Becky gives you a cookie, you eat it.
What she does when I try to feed her.  Hand covering mouth and whining.
She still likes sleeping with her hands behind her head.
I said, "Eww, yucky! Don't lick that." So she looked me in the eye and licked it.
The only one I'll share my fries with.
We tried coloring, she wasn't super interested.
On her actual birthday we went to Sam's Club and got a soft pretzel.
She did a lot better opening her presents this time.

I made a cake just for her, and she didn't want to touch it because the frosting was sticky.
That's the messiest her face got.  After 10 minutes I called it quits.
I walked out of the room and came back to her sitting up.  She loves the tv screen saver with animal pictures.
Classic messy morning hair.
The rest are pics from Camera Shy that I did for her birthday.
She doesn't mind "standing time" anymore.


The easiest way to get her to smile was to get her to clap.

No comments:

Post a Comment