Thursday, January 22, 2015

Fingers crossed

I'm down to my weekly doctor visits, and so far they have both gone really well.  The first one (last week) she was still "head down" and I was dilated 1.5 centimeters and 80% effaced (at 36 weeks).  My doctor said this was a really good start, especially for a first time mom.  Even though I hadn't felt any contractions, I had been feeling period-like cramping, and I could feel her down in my hips, if that makes sense.  They did the strep test, and that came back negative as well.  My doctor said I should have my hospital bag and car seat ready because the next couple weeks will go by fast.

I was hoping my appointment today would show progression.  "At least 2.5 centimeters, just give me that."  I have still been having period cramps, but no contractions, so I was worried I'd be the same as last week.  I think the pregnancy gods are smiling down on me, because I progressed to "almost 4 centimeters", 70% effacement, and her head is at station -1.  Before my birth class, none of that would have made sense.  But now I know it means that my body is practically ready to go in to labor whenever the baby decides to come out.  I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but my doctor seemed pretty confident that she should come within the week.

I have my baby shower on Saturday, so I just need her to stay put until then.  Other than that, I'm super ready for her to come.  I can't really sleep on my sides anymore, even when I prop pillows everywhere.  I get stuck and it takes me a good 2 minutes to sit up because everything hurts.  That's one thing I didn't expect about pregnancy, being sore and not having my muscles work properly.  Sure, it's annoying having to maneuver with a giant belly, but I didn't know that equates to sore muscles and ligaments, and physically not being able to lift my legs to put on boots or pants.  I have to sleep sitting up, which apparently makes me snore really loud (poor Doug).  My feet have also gotten huge.  Even shoes that used to be slightly too big, are too tight.  I'm glad it's not summer, but in a way it would be convenient to be able to wear flip flops.  I can feel (and see) her wiggling all the time.  Usually it's not too painful, but every now and then she'll push on my ribs, hips, or back and that doesn't feel good.  She also gets the hiccups multiple times a day.  I don't mind the hiccups, it's good to know she's exercising her diaphragm.

As much as I might complain about the third trimester, it's also a blessing.  I'm so uncomfortable that I'm not so nervous about the delivery.  From this point I know that I'm going to get more uncomfortable and miserable each day until delivery, but once she comes I can start healing and feeling better, if that makes sense.  Kind of like when you have food poisoning and you can feel yourself getting sicker and sicker and you know that as unpleasant as vomiting is, you'll feel so much better after you do.  (Did I really just compare my baby to vomit?  I think it's time for bed).

1 comment: