Saturday, July 11, 2015

The Month of Fives

I say month of fives because on the 5th Katelyn turned 5 months old, and on the 11th I ran a 5k with her in the stroller.  Here are her stats:
  • *Unofficial weight 13.4 lbs, height 24 inches. 
  • Still eating anywhere from 4-7 oz every 3 hours.  Since returning from San Diego it took a while for her to get back into eating as much as before.
  • I've noticed she gets sleepy 1.5 hours after she started eating, and when she gets fussiest it's because she's tired.  Even if it's time to eat, if she's tired she would rather have her pacifier than food.
  • We started trying to give her solids.  She doesn't quite have the motion down, she just spits or lets the food run out of her mouth.  I think she's also unsure about the taste.  So far we've only tried rice cereal and green beans.
  • She can hold her head up very steady now, and I don't use the carseat in the stroller anymore.
  • When she's on her tummy she will prop her chest up, and she can turn back onto her back fairly easily.
  • I have gotten her to laugh a few times (a real hearty laugh).  Mostly with her owl toy (her favorite at the moment) or at night when I'm getting her ready for her bath she's very giggly.
  • She has learned how to spit and it's a favorite pass time.
  • She's beginning to get hand-eye coordination.  She reaches for toys with both hands and when she gets them they go straight to her mouth.
  • She has started to really notice the cats and will get excited when they walk by her.  The cats still couldn't care less about her, except Milo is always on the prowl to steal her pacifier.
  • I've packed up all of her 3 month sized clothes.  She must've gone through a major growth spurt, because one week they fit just fine and the next week they were very snug (and I didn't want to stretch them out).  Her 6 month sized clothes are fitting perfectly at the moment, but if she goes through another spurt she might have to jump to the 9 months.
  • I've noticed that she prefers toys that have faces, or at least eyes.  Her favorites are an owl, frog, and monkey.
  • She did better on the plane to Chicago than I expected.  She was really fussy in the airport, so I was very anxious, but as soon as we got on the plane she fell asleep.  She woke up about an hour in to the flight, and got cranky for 15 minutes or so, but then fell back to sleep.  On the way home it was a late flight (9 pm) and she slept the entire time.  I think it helped that the night flight was dark and quiet. 
It's been a pretty good month.  She is learning and growing so fast.  I notice new things almost daily and I think, "Was she doing this yesterday? I don't think she was."  Her personality is starting to bud, and I think she's going to be a handful.  She's already testing limits with a kind of fake cry when I leave the room.  She still likes going for walks (but not when it's super hot outside, learned that the hard way), and will usually just fall asleep.  That's one of the reasons I was able to do a 5k, going on walks was good for both of us and I thought it would be fun to put my endurance to the test.  This was the first 5k I've ever done (besides the Kimber Fun Run in Grouse Creek), so I chose one more focused on fun rather than serious speed.  I did the FroYo run around Liberty Park, I finished in 41 minutes, 305th place overall and 33rd in my age division.  The best part?  Frozen yogurt at the finish line.  I'm looking in to doing another race at the end of August, 5k Cake Walk.  At the halfway point you stuff your face with cupcakes, and for every cupcake you eat they will deduct 1 minute from your finish time.  That's my kind of race.
We enjoyed watching Shark Week.
She was asleep the whole time.


That's me!


First time "eating" (i.e. tasting) rice cereal
Not a fan.
She likes sitting in the chair to watch me make breakfast.
Hippest baby out on our walks.
I have the cutest boy, er, girl.
Proof she is getting ready to crawl.
When she was fussy on the plane Daddy let her watch soccer.
Catching a nap in the hotel.  She sleeps like this a lot.
Meeting cousin for the first time.
Happy Independence Day



Meeting ALL the cousins
All the grandkids, Grandma, and Great-Grandma
Baby cousins were not in the mood for a photo op
The perks of being mobile, you can leave when you want.
Katelyn has some chunk on her, but hard to believe they're 2.5 months apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment