So just after I posted my last post on Friday night I got a phone call, from Doug. He and his brother had gotten in a car accident on their way to Denver. They were going along on the highway and a deer jumped out in front of them. Jared (brother) was driving and instinctively swerved out of the way, the car flipped over and rolled 4 or 5 times. Both Doug and Jared were wearing their seat belts so they did not get thrown out of the car. A semi-truck driver saw it and stopped, he thought they were probably dead. They both were able to walk away just fine. They declined an ambulance (later the doctor at the hospital basically told Doug he was stupid for not getting one). Scott (another brother) drove up from Salt Lake and picked them up (40 miles out of Evanston, WY) and drove them to St. Mark's Hospital in Salt Lake. Doug got x-rays and a CT Scan and everything looked normal and fine. He just has a long cut on his thumb, they just used liquid band-aid to secure it together, no stitches even. The Highway Patrol guy told them they will probably go on the "Seat belt Survivor List" because it is honestly a miracle that they are alive, let alone healthy and well. So to all of you who don't wear your seat belts religiously, think twice.
On a lighter note, Jared still drove to Denver with their other brother David. By the grace of Jimmer, BYU won the game, and it was exciting. Doug stayed home and slept all day while I was on my field trip. He is doing fine, just a little sore all over.
That is the closest I ever want to come to being a widow until I'm at least 70 years old. I want a 50 year anniversary, and by-golly I better get what I want.

Glad Doug and his brother were okay. Frightening.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, liquid band-aid kind of freaks me out. Super cool.... But unnatural. Where's the moral lesson about ripping it off quickly or the childhood belief that if you wrap a wound in it, suddenly it's all better and you can stop crying? Those are grievous losses.