Next we went to the turkey grower. I have a love-hate relationship with turkey farms. Love the baby turkeys (called poults, not chicks). Hate the smell! It's like cat litter+giraffe house at the zoo+gas station bathroom. And these barns were enclosed with fans, so the yucky poo dirt was circulating through the air. Gag. I had my sweatshirt over my face the entire time. At first I was the only one, others caved in soon after. Anyways, back to the poults. Adorable, and they follow you. Turkeys respond to sound, the adults will "gobble" back at you if you make a noise. The poults are attracted to lights, shiny things (such as wedding rings), and the colors red and green. That's why the feeders are always red.

I would stick my hand in and they would run over to peck my ring. In this barn, the "brooding barn" they had 9,000 poults! It's 8,000 square feet, the rule of thumb is roughly 1 sq foot/poult. As you can see, the guy keeps it very clean, hardly any poop in there. Which is good because it has to be like 90 degrees in there so they don't die.


Isn't he cute? I promise I'm not squeezing him, I just didn't want him to jump out of my hand. I know he's a "he" because this farmer only raises toms (male turkeys). They grow to be 40 lbs! HUGE! I didn't take any pictures of the older birds because 1) they're ugly 2) I couldn't hold my sweatshirt around my face and take a picture. But this is what they look like.

Blue faces and all. Fun fact: When they are maturing, some faces turn blue before the majority of the flock's, those ones get pecked to death because they look different from everyone else. Turkeys are merciless. Also, if they happen to have a black feather or two they'll get pecked to death. Walking through the barn some even pecked at my blue boots. Did I mention I don't really like turkeys?
Lastly we went to a sheep farm. This was by far my favorite. Sheep smell bad, but it's a grassy/hay stinky bad, I can deal with it. Right now is peak lambing season. So...

Lastly we went to a sheep farm. This was by far my favorite. Sheep smell bad, but it's a grassy/hay stinky bad, I can deal with it. Right now is peak lambing season. So...

I got to hold one. It was so darling and sweet. All the lambs in this barn are less than a day old. They are put into small pens with the ewes so the ewes can "mother up." Basically get to know who their baby(s) is, and vice versa. Gradually they are put in larger pens with more ewes.


Ewes with proper nutrition tend to have twins. Once in a while they will have triplets (like this one, the third lamb is there, I promise) or quadruplets. Ewes only have 2 udders, so usually if they have more than twins the extra lambs will be placed with a ewe and a single, or bottle fed. As you can see, lambs are born with long tails. When they're happy they even wag them like a dog. Usually their tails get docked when they are a couple weeks old.
While we were here we even saw a ewe give birth. The feet were sticking out but she was taking a long time, so the farmer just pulled the first one out. Then he stuck his hand in and grabbed the second one right away. Usually they don't bother helping, but it was going too slow. The lambs were able to stand up after about 15 minutes, it was amazing. No pictures, just because I was kinda far away, and there were too many people crowding closer. As cute as they are, sheep are incredibly stupid creatures.
While we were here we even saw a ewe give birth. The feet were sticking out but she was taking a long time, so the farmer just pulled the first one out. Then he stuck his hand in and grabbed the second one right away. Usually they don't bother helping, but it was going too slow. The lambs were able to stand up after about 15 minutes, it was amazing. No pictures, just because I was kinda far away, and there were too many people crowding closer. As cute as they are, sheep are incredibly stupid creatures.
No comments:
Post a Comment