Friday, September 2, 2011

Home, Home on the range

Today is my day off and I thought I should do a little updating. I'm not feeling very well, I've come down with a cold, so I'll take a break from my relaxing to inform all of you of our recent happenings.

First off, Doug is home! He flew in last Saturday, thankfully before the airports shut down because of Irene. He got in at around 10 a.m. so we got to spend the whole day together. I couldn't have been happier. He was really tired, he only slept 2 hours the night before because he was keeping up on the news to see if his flight would be cancelled. So he took a nap for a couple hours. Then we went and looked at Aunt Eula's Blazer she was selling. She just bought a new car, it's really pretty, and was selling her '01 Chevy. It took a few days for us to decide, but ultimately we bought it. I've named him Winchester, Chester for short. We're still waiting for Aunt Eula to go back up to Grouse Creek to get the title, so we can't really drive it yet. Sad.

We wanted a second car for Doug to drive to the Trax station. He needs to be to work in Downtown by 7, so he leaves the Trax station by at 6. The station is about 2 miles away from our house, and the road to get there doesn't have any streetlights or anything. We live out in the boonies where there are just factories and distribution centers. We had originally planned on him riding a bike, but I don't feel comfortable when it's so dark and early in the morning. (Just this morning he said he almost hit 2 deer on his way there.) So the Blazer works out great, it will only get about 4 miles of use a day, so gas mileage isn't an issue, and Aunt Eula sold it to us really cheap. So since we don't drive it right now, I've been dropping him off and picking him up from the station. It will be so nice when he can drive himself. More than once I've been in the middle of making dinner when I need to go get him.

Speaking of dinner. I've been trying to make more home cooked meals, you know, to get into a good habit of it. I need good basic dinner staple recipes. It's hard to cook for two, especially when we don't care much to eat the same leftovers for two or three nights. Any suggestions?

Other than that things are the same old. Milo and Pepper and little rascals as always. Pepper knows when it's bedtime and when I'm going to put them away for the night. She runs under the table in the corner where she knows I can't get her. One of these days I need to use her intelligence for some entertainment. Maybe train her to do a puzzle to get food or something. That would be fun.

That's about all the time I can manage to spare from my relaxing and recuperating. Til next time, enjoy finding me good simple recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment