Thursday, October 23, 2014

Google: Friend or Foe?

I had my "official" ultrasound at the doctor's office on Sept 24th.  She's still a girl!  So that's one less thing I have to worry about.  However, the doctor opened up a whole new can of worms.  He said there was a slight abnormality he wanted to go over.  It looked like Baby had a borderline diagnosis of echogenic bowel.  In normal person terms, the bowels should show up the same density as the liver (tissue) on the ultrasound, so kind of a dark gray.  The lighter something shows up, the more dense it is, so bone shows up completely white.  Her bowels were slightly whiter than the liver, but still darker than bone, so it wasn't a true echogenic bowel diagnosis.  He wanted to bring it up because a true diagnosis is a soft marker for some issues like cystic fibrosis, down syndrome, and a viral infection.  He said he was 95% sure that it was nothing, and it's just a variation (some people are tall, some people are fat, some have dense bowels), but he didn't want to just disregard it.  So he told us to come back for another ultrasound in a month to check on it again.  If that ultrasound showed the bowels still too dense, then he said we should think about doing genetic testing.  He also said, "Don't Google it, you'll freak yourself out."  So of course, we had to Google what it was.  It was actually a little more reassuring to me because I read a lot of cases where they get a false positive, and only very rarely does it actually result in a complication.

Fast forward one month to today.  We went in for the follow-up and it was actually fun to get to see her again (in normal pregnancies your 20 week ultrasound is the last one).  We had a different doctor this time.  The "echogenic bowel" didn't go away, but it didn't get worse either.  This doctor said that we're so borderline that she wouldn't have even noticed it if she didn't know that's specifically what she was looking for.  They even had new technology on the ultrasound machine where they could numerically measure the density level of bone versus the level of the bowels, and that showed that that bone was more dense.  She told us not to worry about it and we can go ahead and proceed with the pregnancy as normal.  Especially since everything else showed up normal.

Stats:
Baby is 30th percentile in size (she's a little small, but they just like to see anything above 10%)
Amniotic fluid measured at 15 (10-25 is normal)
Heart rate 150 bpm
Approximate weight is 1 lb 5 oz.
My blood pressure is good too, 117/70
I've gained about 14 lbs so far, my doctor said I'm alright but to not overdo it during the holidays. (HA!)
I can pretty much feel her moving around every day now.  Mostly after breakfast when I'm sitting at my computer at work, and then at night after dinner while I'm blogging.

We got some better ultrasound pictures this time than we did at the 20 week one.  They did a 3D picture at that one and she looked like an alien, not cute.  But this time she has filled out and they got a much better view.
20 week alien baby



24 week normal-looking baby, pouty lips and all


I already want to kiss those chubby cheeks
I've also bought some of my first outfits.  I can't be trusted at Kohl's with a 30% coupon....
Those are little hot air balloons on the dress.



No comments:

Post a Comment